Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wallow in Marshmallows

Back in December, I posted about gourmet marshmallows in my myspace blog. My sister, Annie Chalabannie, had shared the marshmallow gospel with me during Thanksgiving, and I was intrigued. So, as a nice little treat for the Chalaban girls, I bought a box of peppermint marshmallows from Williams-Sonoma.

OK, beware, major geekiness ahead...There's a website, www.unboxing.com, that my editor buddy Andru Edwards does a stellar job running, where they videotape the entire unboxing experience of a new product. It's like geek pr0n.

Mesmerized by Williams-Sonoma's neatly packaged marshmallows, I conducted my own "unboxing," if you will. See above for my still-photo unboxing series.

So, guess what I find in the March 30 issue of the WSJ? A roundup review of gourmet marshmallows, Artisan Marshmallows! I'd like to note that now that the WSJ has reported on this trend, gourmet marshmallows are going to be HOT!! I intend to try them all.

Marshmallow Makers:
Plush Puffs
DeBrand Fine Chocolates
Pete's Gourmet

So, how do they taste? Well, I've only had the Williams-Sonoma one, but the texture, taste, and size are different from the grocery store ones. They're a little denser, chewier, and not quite as sweet. I ate them plain, but I'm sure they would be delicious in hot chocolate, smores, etc. I can't really remember much else about them, except that they're hella expensive for chunks of sugar, so consider them a treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home