Sunday, April 08, 2007

Asparagus and Egg Dish, compromised



Today, I tried a recipe from the LA Times. It's an asparagus with egg and anchovy dish. It wasn't bad but I actually ended up compromising the integrity of the dish. Here's how:

- Anchovies: I thought, "Eh, I don't care that much for anchovies, so I'm gonna leave it out."

- Parsely: I thought, "I don't like parsley at all because the flavor is too strong, so I'm not including that."

- Fleur de sel: I forgot to buy this at the store so I used regular table salt.

- Fresh ground white pepper: I only had non-fresh ground white pepper, so that's what it got.

- Two eggs: I don't like yolk that much, so I used 2 egg whites and 1 egg yolk.

- The recipe required finely chopped shallots; I thought, "Eh who cares! It's only me I'm cooking for!!"

- The recipe required you to dice the egg in 1/4 inch squares; again, since I was cooking only for myself, I got lazy and didn't diced them much larger than that.

Yeah...quite a different dish, eh? Anyway, it was still pretty good. Next time, I will substitute ham or bacon (bacon makes any dish deeeeeeeelicious!) for anchovies (this time, I added more salt to the dish since it was lacking the saltiness of the anchovies).

Click here for the original LA Times recipe: http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-sidesrec1apr04,1,1656998.story?coll=la-util-features-food&ctrack=2&cset=true

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home