Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How Bonanza Got His Name

My brother's name is Bonanza. That's a little odd, right? Makes you wanna hum the theme song from that Western TV show. Or, it might make you think of a gigantic sale at Frye's Electronics or Mattress Discounters.

So, you ask, "Who would name their child Bonanza?"

And, I answer, "Fobby parents, man. Fobby parents."

Growing up, I had a neighbor friend whose name was Vanessa. Well, nearly the entire time we lived there (11 years), my mom thought her name was Bonanza!

So, when my mom became pregnant with her 4th and last child, my parents thought, "Wow, Bonanza, that certainly is a lovely name. The name reaps abundance and wealth. Let us name our last child--whether boy or girl-- 'Bonanza.' And, we shall call the child 'Bo' for short."

All I gotta say is thank God that Bo ended up being a boy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

My poor little sister's name is Betty (as in Betty Rubble). This is what parents get when they let a three year old name her little sister.

Unfortunately they revoked the privilege before I could get around to naming my next little sister. Sure, her name's technically Linda, but she'll always be Wilma to me! =)

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

LOL. Funny story...we've been roommates for how long and I never knew what Bo was short for.

10:01 AM

 
Blogger HB said...

I love hearing your parental FOB stories! They are so cute. Just the other day I was laughing at a story you told back in the day when I saw you once in awhile.

4:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home