Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Kill the Kale



My friend Stephanie just told me that she read my blog, so now I feel compelled to write (I'm a people-pleaser).

You might be wondering if I still get the CSA vegetable boxes. Well, since my last post in May, I got one more box to which I was greeted with more hearty greens: collard greens, mustards, kale, turnips, etc. To be quite frank, I am SICK AND TIRED of those damn greens. I spent so much time trying to cook and consume them all that now I just want to gag when I see them at the farmer's market or just typing this up on my computer. Here's what's sad: I was at Jonathan Waxman's (of Top Chef Masters fame-- for all of us mainstreamers who only know of chefs when they're featured on TV) NYC restaurant, Barbuto, where I came across kale on the menu. I ordered it, thinking, Hey the reason I'm sick of it is because an amateur like me is cooking it. The kale came, and sure enough: blech.

So, here's my advice about CSA boxes:

CSA boxes can come with a lot of vegetables. You don't get to pick what you want and what you don't want. So, when you get veggies you don't like, give them away! Don't feel pressured to cook and eat them all. No one is judging you! Otherwise, you will start to resent them. And, who ever heard of resenting a vegetable?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home