Sunday, May 02, 2010

The veggies are here, the veggies are here!


Got my first CSA box last Sunday on April 25. I haven't blogged much lately because I've been busy trying to eat it all and not let any of it go to waste!


The box is a biweekly one, and what's nice is that it's not a regular subscription, so I can order one as needed. Because you get what's in season, there's a good chance that you'll be getting the same veggies for awhile-- and you'll get kaled out! So, I prefer this option--though I'm sure the regular subscription could work better for a family. This particular CSA, South Central Farmer's Co-op, charges $15 per box (all boxes are the same size), but of course you're free to donate more. (Read my last post for more CSA details.)

Contents of the 4/25 box:
- Red onions
- Rainbow chard
- Bloomsdale spinach
- Purple mustard greens
- Collard greens
- Broccoli
- Carrots
- Fava beans
- Black kale
- Beets
- Green romaine lettuce




I've heard that you can blanch and free the vegetables. I believe my friend Judy cuts hers up as soon as she gets them and promptly stores them in the fridge. I, on the other hand, was not that organized. I cut some of them up and loosely wrapped the rest in newspapers.

What's neat is that the box forces me to try different kinds of vegetables-- ones that I wouldn't normally buy at the grocery store, such as rainbow chard or beets. I even sauteed the beet greens-- I didn't even know there were greens on a beet!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home